Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sondre Lerche and the problem with the singer-songwriter genre

Just listened to Sondre Lerche's latest, Heartbreak Radio. You know, it's a shame that Sondre can't consistently write catchy Europop hits as adorable as he is. This last album was very lovely, but I got bored. And I'm not even saying it's his fault. Pretty chords, pretty melodies, witty lyrics and stories I had no interest in because they were so darn pretty. But there's more: I finally realized why I have beef with the singer-songwriter genre.

What is the purpose of a beat?

The singer-songwriters use a beat as a means for keeping time, a way to keep everyone playing together and, in general, as a way to structure the music.

Boring.

Everyone knows a beat's sole reason for existing is to make you wanna dance or headbang or something. If it doesn't make you move, it's time to scrap that beat and make a new one.

Too many singer-songwriters waste their beats. Bad mistake! Bad mistake! I'll bet money on this: every great song has a great beat.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know this was a year ago, but: Blowin' in the Wind?

Kristin said...

"Blowin' in the Wind?"? Sorry to be slow, but I'm not sure what point you're making. Are you trying to tell me that that's a great song, even though it doesn't have a good beat? By the way, I've reconsidered my position on beats and the whole singer-songwriter thing. If you create a work of great beauty, then it can be down-tempo. Some James Taylor songs come to mind, like "Fire and Rain." But if you can't make it beautiful, then make it exciting, and give it a great beat :)

Post a Comment